Warning over dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning

11:00 26 February 2013

�

Archant

Four people taken to hospital suffering from symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is warning members of the public of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning following an incident at the weekend.

Firefighters found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide were found within a house during an incident on Saturday.

Four people were taken to hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Station manager Mark House said: “This incident illustrates how important it is to have carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke alarms.

“However, carbon monoxide alarms are not a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas appliances.”

He added: “You can’t see the poisonous fumes, you can’t taste them and you can’t smell them and you won’t realise you are being overcome by the fumes until it is too late.”

For more information visit www.dsfire.gov.uk/YourSafety/SafetyInTheHome/Carbonmonoxide.cfm?siteCategoryId=4&T1ID=35&T2ID=299

0 comments

Other News Stories

14:21
Former classmates of Barnstaple Girls' Grammar School got together for a joint 70th birthday reunion in Barnstaple on Saturday. Picture: Andy Keeble

Former pupils from all over the world back in town after half a century to share memories of school days – including brown knickers!

Read more
How the extension to Atlantic Village is proposed to look.

Bideford shopping centre has applied for extension of time for plans to almost double in size.

Read more
Barnstaple's Anchorwood Bank development begins to take shape. Picture: Austin Wallas

Parts of Barnstaple’s riverfront are set to be opened up to the public for the first time in centuries – as huge progress is made on the town’s Anchorwood Bank development.

Read more
12:30
Dr Joe Pitt uses the new machine on League volunteer Carol Rowe.

Dr Joe Pitt, dermatology consultant and local GP, took delivery of a new £950 dermatoscope last week.

Read more
Alan Durrant, chairman of Sid Vale Association, presents Dr Duncan Hall of the Beacon Medical Centre with a donation towards the planting of trees and shrubs around the grounds. Ref shs 9545-25-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

Sidmouth’s multimillion-pound medical centre has received a boost to its £16,000 project to improve the look of its car park.

Read more
12:15

Police asking for people to come forward after alleged attack on Sunday evening

Read more
Brian Edwards

An Exmouth man has vowed to raise £42,000 for a Nepalese community which saved his life.

Read more
There was a great turnout for South Molton Community College's 2015 prom

Around 100 now-former Year 11 pupils celebrated the end of their GCSEs at the South Molton Community College prom.

Read more
10:24
Philip Milton, owner of the White Hart in Bratton Fleming. Picture: Andy Keeble

Local businessman Philip Milton to present ‘schematic ideas’ to villagers next month.

Read more

Fire fighters called out to Bideford home in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday) after chip pan caught fire.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 23°C

min temp: 14°C

Most Read News

Great British Life


Great British Life

Family Notices 24



Devon's trusted business finder