October 30 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, January 24, 2013
A busy night for Hatherleigh fire fighters as they attend two separate chimney fires.
FIRE crews from Hatherleigh attended two chimney fires in Winkleigh in the space of 12 hours last night (Weds) and this morning.
At 9.50pm yesterday, one fire engine was sent to reports of a fire at Orchard Gate in Dolton.
The fire, which involved a chimney from a wood burning stove, was extinguished by crews using a 135 ladder, hose reel jet and chimney gear.
At 7.45am today, a fire engine from Hatherleigh attended a separate incident at Ingleigh Green in Winkleigh.
The crew found a fire in the chimney of the property and they used chimney gear to extinguish the fire.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue has issued guidance for keeping chimneys safe with the cold weather sparking more people lighting their fires to keep warm.
A spokesman said: “Chimney fires can cause serious structural damage to a home, with the risks being even greater if the property has a thatched roof.
“The damage is not only fire based but also the dirt and smell left from all the soot and smoke, which would affect your personal property, including all your Christmas presents.
“Chimneys need to be dirt free to allow the free passage of dangerous combustion gasses, so regular cleaning will remove soot and creosote, and help prevent dangerous chimney fires.
“Make sure your chimney is swept regularly by a registered chimney sweep.”
For more tips on keeping your chimney clean and safe visit the fire service’s website by clicking the link in the top right of the page.