Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service issue safety tips.
East Devon residents are being urged to stay safe as well as warm this winter.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is reminding members of the public to check all their winter essentials are fire-safe and smoke alarms are in full working order.
It has issued the following advice:
- Make sure chimneys are dirt free and regular cleaned and swept by a registered chimney sweep to prevent chimney fires.
Open fires and portable heaters:
- When using an open fire always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks or hot embers. Ensure the fire is put out before going to bed.
- Keep portable heaters away from curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes. Always unplug electric heaters when you go out and go to bed.
- Never use hot water bottles in the same bed as an electric blanket, even if the blanket is switched off.
- Unplug blankets before you get into bed, unless they have a thermostat control for safe all-night use.
- Store electric blankets flat, rolled up or loosely folded to prevent damaging the internal wiring.
- Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder, and away from materials that may catch fire like curtains. - Ensure candles are put out completely when you leave the room or go to bed.