Friday, April 27, 2012
COMFORTS fund leaders hope to find out this month if a bid to extend Sidmouth Hospital can be revived.
North Devon Healthcare Trust withdrew controversial plans for a £2.5million expansion of the medical hub last year.
‘Phase five’ of the comforts fund’s long-term vision would have handed the town better facilities for physiotherapy and more accommodation for visiting consultants – increasing their clinics, day surgery and treatments.
Fund chairman, Graham Vincent, told its annual general meeting that the healthcare trust had commissioned a feasibility study regarding the siting of a new physiotherapy department.
“We have been promised the results of their findings by the end of April,” he said.
Mr Vincent addded: “We have discussed our proposals with GPs, lead physios and the hospital matron, and of course this is very important to local residents with the funding they have given us over the years.
“Our ongoing aim is to provide structure and equipment….as we have one of the best equipped hospitals in the country. Had it not been for the local community, our hospital would not be what it is today.”