Major gas leak at Axminster

11:30 22 November 2012

Axminster fire station

Axminster fire station

Archant

Fire crews called after main is accidentally drilled through at Kirby Close

Firefighters were called to an Axminster housing estate today (Thursday) after reports that workmen had accidentally drilled through a gas main.

Appliances from Axminster and Colyton, along with a gas detector monitor from Middlemoor, were sent to the incident at Kirby Close at around 10am.

Crews confirmed that the gas main was leaking but were unable to take any action until the arrival of the gas company so they could isolate the main supply.

A gas engineer subsequently attended and isolated the supply, crews then made the area safe and stood by with firefighting equipment as a precaution.

0 comments

Other News Stories

09:00
Exmouth College Cadets visited Eurotech this week after the firm has bought each group member a pair of safety boots. The students are pictured with Eurotech MD David Douglas, other representatives of the Fire and Police service and Assistant Chief Fire Officer Trevor Stratford. Ref exe 5379-03-15SH. Photo Simon Horn

Cadets at Exmouth Community College have got some new equipment thanks to a town technology firm.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:00
Jon  Chalk (far right) travelled to Mauritius with Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service instructors Ben Williams and Joe Hassell

Jon Chalk, from Exmouth, has been helping train the Mauritius Fire and Rescue Service

Read more
Yesterday, 10:02

Several witnesses called police to report incident.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:00
Age Concern Exmouth home care team. Ref exe 5754-04-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

The new manager of Age Concern Exmouth’s home service says the key to its success is the personal service it provides to its clients.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 7°C

Most Read News

Family Notices 24
Devon's trusted business finder